Of Espresso, Carrying, and Carrabbas
At last, the weekend has arrived! Not that my week was all that stressful; I did it to myself with all the late nights.
Speaking of late nights, and the unfortunate consequences of them, Carola, a coworker of mine, made a coffee run yesterday and asked if I wanted anything. (As an aside here, I just realized I stiffed her on that. I'll have to pay her back Monday). As I was busy with something, tired from lack of sleep, and generally not in the mood to make even a trivial decision, I just told her to bring me back whatever she was having. Big mistake. I should have known that Carola, having a daughter who is just on the cusp of teenagerhood, required high-test.
Half an hour later, I was surprised to find a nearly-empty coffee cup on my desk (or is it better to say it was 1/4 full?). A visit to Carola confirmed that this was not the result of a bleary-eyed, minimum-wage-earning cashier making a horrible mistake. I learned that double espressos always come like this. Curious, I swallowed half of it, grimaced, added a packet of sugar to the remainder, and finished. My productivity doubled for the next three hours. I'm surprised those things aren't regulated by the FDA.
Did I mention that I have the coolest boss ever? Denise, I found out last week, carries, making her the first woman I've met who does. You'd never suspect it, since she looks the stereotypical soccer mom. This came up again last night, when her, Carola, Latoya, and myself exited the building. We'd noticed a shady character loitering about, and Carola asked Denise, with a bit of eye-rolling, if she was carrying. Both of us acknowledged that we had them in our cars. Carola, wide-eyed, turned and asked if I was also a "gun-carrying Republican" to which I replied, "All of us are!" That's not really the case, of course, but you'd be surprised what people will believe about things they don't know much about.
By the way, while we're on that subject, here's an interesting graphic I had not seen before. I've never been so pleased to see states turn blue!
In a few hours, Shelly and I are going to have dinner at the new Carrabbas in Durham with Erika and Jason. I'm looking forward to it, especially after perusing this menu. If anyone reads this and doesn't have anything to do around 7:30pm tonight, that's where we'll be!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home