Seriously? Another Post?
Yep, another post. Despite the fact that it is seriously beginning to feel like I’m talking to myself around here.
Later on last Saturday, after the momentous news that Shelly had passed the BAR, we traveled to Bahama Breeze in Raleigh to join Jason, Erika, Matt, and Martha for dinner. Ostensibly, we were celebrating Shelly and Erika’s birthdays, though they were July 7th and August 12th, respectively.
It was a great (though somewhat pricey) meal, flavored by the colorful conversations that only seem to crop up in the presence of Matt Sacrinty. I ordered a portabella mushroom sandwich (Jason and Erika cringed in disgust) which I came to regret later after sampling Matt’s Cuban sandwich. At least the ‘fire cracker shrimp" appetizer sated my appetite.
A twenty-five minute car ride later, the six of us arrived back at our townhouse, where we celebrated Shelly’s ascent to lawyerhood. Matt, bitterly recalling the lack of game-playing last time, practically insisted we break out a board game, and Erika chose Apples to Apples (no doubt influenced by blog entry from last week). She lived to regret it, as Matt made the game take a random turn, and Erika’s sensible picks were rejected in favor of things that bordered on the bizarre. "Tyrannosaurus Rex" chosen for "Glorious" pales in comparison. Fortunately, midnight put an end to the madness, as Martha asked to be taken home, and Erika and Jason were nearly mad with worry that their baby-sitter was failing to answer the phone. Shelly's comforting words that the baby-sitter's first reaction to crib death probably wouldn't be to just turn off the phones brought no relief.
Labor Day passed in a relaxed blur, although we did host the Hawkins’ for an encore presentation of hamburgers and hotdogs, macaroni and cheese, and fried okra, which Erika and Jason were good sports and actually tried. Charlotte even actually seemed to like it. However, the little lady’s presence forced the parents to take their leave somewhat early.
So, with the hurricane missing New Orleans, and most of the channels broadcasting the Republican National Convention, Shelly and I settled in to watch. I enjoyed Fred Thompson and Joe Leiberman’s speeches, though poor Leiberman is going to be in for it if the Democrats get more Senate seats, as they’re expected to. The next night, I think I might have connected with Sarah Palin in a way that has nothing to do with her politics, and made the mistake of voicing this to Shelly. At least we keep a relatively comfortable guest room, where I spent the following night. (No, not really). But for the first time in this election, I'm actually excited! Seriously, where has this girl been for the last two years??
Anyway, politics dispensed with, Friday night, Shelly and I had the distinct pleasure of hosting cousin Scott and buddy Leroy (Brian, really), who were making a layover on their way to Atlanta to see the UFC fight. They got in late, but we had a nice breakfast for them the next morning before they got on their way. Next weekend, my parents are coming in; I'm going to try to get the downstairs bathroom mostly done with before they get here, lest they think we only invite them down for manual labor.
Well, I've got most of my Sunday left still, so I'm going to sign off here and go spend some time with my wifey. Hope everyone enjoys their remaining weekend, and I'll see you back again soon.


4 Comments:
Getting the bathroom done is certainly ambitious. ;)
Hello,
I agree with "getting the bathroom done". Dad and I would gladly help with the bathroom or anything else.
Can't wait to see you both on Friday.
This comment has been removed by the author.
We want to come down.......Drat school.. Kids don't have off until early November
Post a Comment
<< Home