Sunday, June 29, 2008

Another Weekend, Come and Gone

Here it is, Sunday night again. Where does the time go?

At least it's a four day week this week. And the holiday that closes it out is Independence Day, my personal favorite. Shelly's mom and dad are talking about coming up to join us next weekend, so that should be fun.

But wait, I'm getting ahead of myself! I still have this past weekend to relate!

Yesterday was pretty fun, actually, provided you stayed indoors. It was another scorcher. Shelly and I endeavored to do that, and it wasn't like I didn't have little projects to keep me busy, putting knobs on things and installing extra shelving in closets. In between times, I found little pieces of "Bachelor Chris" memorabilia in the box I unpacked, and put a couple of objects out on display. They enjoyed a shelf life of ten minutes or so, until the baleful eye of Shelly fell upon them.

Mid day emergency came when Shelly discovered the indoor air conditioning equipment was leaking large amounts of water under the rug in the hallway. Amid hysterical shrieks about mold and mildew, I talked to Shelly's father, who works on A/Cs for a living. He told me unequivically that the drain pipe was clogged, and I should be able to just pull it off and run a hanger down it to clear it. Only one problem: some idiot glue the pipe in place. Fortunately, all I had to do was take the vacuum outside, run the cord through the window, excavate six inches of dirt out from under the end of the pipe so the hose would fit under it, and duct tape the nozzle to the pipe. That sucked out the blockage, and Shelly and I were able to clean up the water to our satisfaction.

That left me with just enough time to go pick up Brunette Erika's cake from Harris Teeter, although Shelly did send with me instructions to procure a "2" and "9" candle. That worked great, except for some reason, the bakery was out of 2's. Fortunately, the party ailse was fully stocked, because I'm pretty sure if I'd come home without it, the next 'blockage' anyone would have discovered in any vents around here would have been my missing corpse.

Mission accomplished, the two of us drove over to Classic Erika's house to meet up with everyone. We were the last ones there, so once Martha decided she wanted to eat at Champs, we all caravaned over to Southpoint Mall, irrespective of insanely high gas prices. Here are some pictures of us there, waiting for our tables and wilting in the heat.














No, Charlotte doesn't have a twin- the parents kept passing her off to each other.

Anyway, we had a great dinner there, then came back to our place to show Matt and Martha around. We had planned on playing Cranium, but we just ended up sitting around and talking until almost 1 in the morning. Oh, and of course we had cake:

Charlotte actually went along with all this and slept comfortably in her playpen upstairs until it was time to go. She was very, very good this time around. (I had to put that in; I was severely chastised last night for talking bad about her on my blog).
We all got to hear about Martha's new job, which she is loving. Matt's still enjoying his full time job of testing game systems, and also going to work a couple days a week. And Shelly was certainly in a talkative mood. I don't think I have any secrets left.
Well, anyway, I've got to get to bed, though I'm not especially tired. I think I'll go downstairs and watch an episode of Scrubs over a cool glass of milk before hitting the hay. Yeah, that sounds real good.
G'night!

1 Comments:

At 30/6/08 8:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey,
Glad that the blockage was a easy one to fix. As Brooks said You never cross the finish line when you have a house.
Love, Mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home