Random Events Blog
Having no major events in my life at the moment, I’m reduced to talking about subjects of interest to me, always a dangerous thing, as they might not be interesting to you folk at all. Realizing that, perhaps I’ll just write a few brief paragraphs, skimming over some recent circumstances.
1. Recently, Shelly and I watched The Golden Compass, which I’d heard rumored to be anti-Christian. It was, probably thinking itself subtle, but further research showed me that the book was actually far more blatant. What’s really funny is that the author is apparently surprised that (gasp!) Christians warned each other not to see the movie! ("You don’t want your faith mocked to your face? What’s wrong with you!") Anyway, apparently New Line is in no hurry to make the second and third installments to this series, using as an excuse that the first one didn’t do well, but I think someone over there actually sat down and read the final two books and realized that things the first book just hints at go into blasphemy overdrive in parts two and three. While they’re smart to ditch the series, it does make me wonder how they could have ever picked it up without knowing this would be a problem.
2. You know, I can almost find it in myself to feel sorry for Barack Obama. Just to be absolutely clear, he did the right thing in not selecting Hillary Clinton to be his Vice Presidential nominee. If he had gotten elected with her as a running mate, the next four years would have seen the most dysfunctional White House in the history of the Republic. The people so wisely saying now that he should have done so (to blunt the impact of Sarah Palin) conveniently forget that A) few suspected McCain would pick Palin and B) no one at all foresaw the impact she would have on the race. While a Democratic "Dream Team" may have ensured a win in November (I don’t exactly buy that, but that’s another story), it would have been a disaster for Obama and the entire country once he took office.
3. Quick aside here, somewhat along the same line: If I were Obama, I’d have delivered a drop kick to Joe Biden for that idiotic statement he made about Clinton being a better VP pick than him. I mean, in one sentence Biden managed to criticize his boss’ judgment and rub salt in the wound for the 18 million people who voted for her!
4. Well, none of you know her, but LaToya’s last day at the credit union was Friday. Since I’ve been there, that’s the first major staffing change that’s had any real affect on me (tellers come and go, barely noticed by my side of things). She was a great worker and I’ll miss her, but she’s going to another job that’s more in line with her degree. So here’s wishing good luck to LaToya! Here’s a picture of her, clutching a farewell gift from me:

6. Miss Capital Hill Melissa (note new moniker) just breezed into town and breezed out again, after an about an hour stay with us. Her and Shelly got to catch up, then she was off to see her parents for lunch. My own parents, in town for the weekend, happened to be off looking at a house with Brenda, so the timing of it worked out beautifully. We actually had a brief, illuminating political conversation, most of which I already discussed above (she got a sneak peek at the blog, I guess you might say). Here's an unposed picture of her; she's undoubtedly laughing at some incredibly witty remark I'd just made!

Well, that’s about it, really. As mentioned above, Mom and Dad have come into town for the weekend, so doubtless there will be news of that to relate on Monday, as well as how the new guy at SECU turns out. So, hope everyone has a great weekend, and I’ll see you later.
Oh, one last thing, in the same 'random' vein. I have no idea why, but whenever I go near a body of water, this seems to happen:


1 Comments:
Funny video! Do they recognize you without the bread (or feed)? Did you see Saturday Night Live last night?
Post a Comment
<< Home