Move Accomplished!
Well, we’re out of the apartment and into the townhouse, anyway. But there are still boxes everywhere, and I’ve been driving around with my car still full of stuff the last three days. But that’s just a mopping up exercise- Bring It On!
The move took us a total of 12 hours on Saturday, between the movers getting all the boxes and furniture, us going back to get the open top boxes and bags, and us priming the walls. By the end of it, the three of us (Shelly, her mom, and I) were so exhausted that we went to bed at 9:30. The next morning, when we went to breakfast at the 501 Diner, I was so tired I started hallucinating, and saw options on the menu that weren’t actually there when I looked again. It was a surreal experience.
(That link really wasn't the best one for the diner, but I stumbled over it and found myself chuckling over the negative comments at the bottom. I'd probably rate the place somewheres in between).
The last several days since, we’ve been in a state of unpacking and installing. I’m having to pick my battles, because I’m finding I don’t have time to do more than about three projects a night. Last night, for instance, was spent re-hanging the cabinet doors, putting the twin bed back together (after having to hacksaw off two stripped bolts the night before, just to get it off the front lawn), and installing a curtain rod over our bedroom window (we were totally without privacy the last three nights- good thing we’re on the second floor!).
Also last night, Obama clinched the Democratic nomination. That had to be bitter-sweet, as it came on a night when he lost South Dakota, and now he has Clinton breathing down his neck to name her as his running mate. Honestly, if she makes enough of an issue of it, it’s hard to see how he could refuse, since she has almost as many delegates as him and has (arguably) won more total votes. That’s unfortunate for him, because having Clinton on the ticket would be hugely distracting- he’s running as a Washington outsider bringing change, so how would it look to have the ultimate Washington insider on the ticket? Then again, a lot of Hillary supporters are going to be absolutely incensed if she’s not picked. It’s somewhat of a no-win scenario for Obama.
That said, all these tied polls between Obama and McCain notwithstanding, the Dems are going to have to work real hard to lose this election. And with Obama in the White House and the Democratic party in control of Congress, we’re going to see some of the most liberal legislation since the 1960’s getting passed. We haven’t had this scenario since Johnson was president. Better spend some quality time now with your money, guns, and SUVs, people.
Well, politics aside, Jen and Tim are coming in on Friday, and fortunately, the second floor is mostly situated, so they’ll have a place to sleep. Hopefully the disaster downstairs will be under a little more control by then.
UPDATE: Well, project progress has come to a screeching halt tonight, as I'm thiiiis close to throwing the wireless router out the window, which is far too kind a fate for it given how it's behaving. Shelly's grown tired of my profanities and has retired downstairs to watch TV and unpack boxes, which I should have been doing an hour ago if not for this stupid thing!
OK, so now that everyone's laughing at me, I guess I'll go for the night.


2 Comments:
I didn't know where to leave this comment, so here it is...
Check out this website
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platypus_venom
Jason
That is so funny! I believe you now. :)
Post a Comment
<< Home