Sunday, February 04, 2007

Yeeeeeessssssss! Precious! Precious!

I finished my short story! After three months of working on it, on and off, in between Thanksgiving, Christmas, studying for modules, visits from parents, performing husbandly duties (I mean chores, sicko), impromptu visits from Law School Melissa (we had another one last night), showers for Erika (and even longer, invitations for showers for Erika), I finally managed to finish my short, 38-page story. Regrettably, even those of you who have heard of Starflight, the game which provides the universe in which the story is set, probably don't have the background knowledge to make heads or tails of it, so I'm not going to do something as vain as post it here. Besides, I have a delicate psyche, and could doubtless not withstand the withering criticism I would take at all of your hands. Which doesn't explain why I publish this blog every day or so...
So, we have had a pretty good weekend here. Shelly and I started by watching Thank You for Smoking on Friday night, which was pretty funny. I expected it to be preachy and predictable, but I was wrong on both counts. As it turns out, the do-gooder Senator trying to ban smoking comes out looking like the biggest idiot, which truly shocked me, since most of the time, Hollywood does everything but draw little halos around the heads of champions of liberal causes.
Yesterday, Martha showed up at the crack of dawn (9:30 am) and whisked Shelly off to the hospital to see Erika. Accidentally leaving her cell phone here, Shelly set me up for an hour-long conversation with my mother-in-law. I suspect Shelly did this on purpose in retribution for all those other calls I take and then imitate her, astounding her friends with my mimicry. (Just kidding, as mother-in-laws go, I have a good one, and talking to her is no chore).
Having dispensed with Martha and Erika, Shelly returned home in the afternoon. Later on, after a long nap, we went to the gym, where I found my precious treadmill occupied. Killing time, Shelly and I went back to the apartment to retrieve some bread, which we then used to feed Penny, Drake, and a quartet of honkers. This led to one of Shelly's more absurd admonishments, brought on by Drake's snatching of bread from Penny: "Drake, that's not very nice!"
Once the treadmill was available, we completed our workouts, whereupon I was dispatched to Brixx to pick up dinner. Shelly got her usual Greek pizza, and I my spicy shrimp. Hardly had we finished eating when a timid knock sounded at the door. It was none other than...LAW SCHOOL MELISSA! (da-da-DOOM). Brushing aside our attempts to introduce her to the Lord of the Rings trilogy, we instead watched Little Miss Sunshine, which I liked despite myself, even though Shelly relegated me to the floor halfway through.
Speaking of Shelly, she visited the chiropractor this week, who adjusted her neck and upper back. Unwilling to aggravate her lower back at this point, which is the source of most of her troubles, he instead prescribed some natural anti-inflammatories and ice for the swelling, and fish oil for help with the joints (contrary to my expectations, Shelly does not have to ingest a spoonful of translucent, milky, mucousy, fish-smelling liquid; the oil comes in capsules). So maybe after taking those steps, he'll be able to help her this coming Wednesday when she goes back.
Ok, that's all I have time for. The Superbowl is coming on, and Shelly and I are having our own, private party.
Talk to you soon! ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home