Snow Day!

Since I've been negligent again, let's see what's news...
Well, I took my next series of module tests for work, and I feel that I did pretty well. We will have to see, so if I don't mention the results next week, you can read between the lines.
What else? A little aside here to any of the men-folk that frequent here. I've discovered that an apology offered whilst one is still laughing about the offending matter is no better, and possibly far worse, than not apologizing at all. Feel free to test my hypothesis and report back, but please know I take no responsibility for the personal injuries and alimony settlements that may result.
Against my better judgement (and strenuous objections), Shelly and I watched part of American Idol last night. It's actually kind of funny: Shelly likes the later portions of the season, where there's actually good talent, but I prefer the early shows where they have God-awful audition after God-awful audition. Last night, I particularly enjoyed the "Unchained Melody" rendition, which touched a true level of horror in me that I never even suspected was there. Don't worry, this will be the last time I blog about the show.
So, on to more weighy issues, such as the Iraq troop surge (Erika, I felt the WHOOSH! of air as you bailed out). So, after almost four years of endless harping that we didn't use enough troops to secure the country, we're now adding more troops, only to find out that no one who was demanding that was actually serious. Live and learn, I guess.
Also, we have this gem from '08 candidate Barack Obama:
Democratic Senator Barak Obama, a rising star who may run for president in
2008, said that Cheney was firing "at a strawman" by claiming the opposition
wanted to cut and run from Iraq.
"The vice president has pursued this
wrong-headed course throughout the process," Obama said on CBS
television.
"What we have suggested is that we begin a phased pullout," he
said.
Can we get beyond the grade school ploys, please? If someone accurately paraphrases what you're saying, it doesn't mean they're misrepresenting you. (If you get put on the witness stand in a murder trial, and the prosecution enters into the record that you confessed to the murder, the jury won't sympathize if you jump up and say "I never said I killed him! I just said I pushed him in front of a semi!") The operative syllable in 'phased pullout' is 'out'- ie. leaving Iraq. You can call it "cutting and running", "withdraw", "strategic redeployment", "far-theater infantry relocation", or "great big happy homecoming", but it all amounts to the same thing. Ok, so it's a serious issue to debate- is it in our national security to stay in Iraq? I'm not going to get into that particular question here, since I could write all day and not scratch the surface, although I'd say if you think it's a pure no-brainer, there's a factor or two you haven't thought of. But my point is, if you think it's not in our best interests, then just say so, call for the retreat, and don't pretend it's something it's not.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home