A Tribute to Signature!
At the risk of picking up the mantle of obsession thrown down by my cousin Steve (who, during his short-lived college pursuit, wrote two separate essays detailing his desire to beat up his old hockey coach), I've written a poem for my old employer, Signature Special Events! It is reproduced in its entirety here, set to the scheme of "The Night Before Christmas". Please enjoy, and if you'll all do me the favor of posting a comment addressing my question at the bottom, I'd really appreciate it!
T’was the night before Christmas,
And all through the land,
Hundred thousands of dollars
Would never change hands.
No contracts were writ on
The most grand sale of all,
And once the job’s over,
Clients don’t return calls.
"These crews are all lazy!"
The big boss would scoff.
"Three weeks working straight,
and they want a day off?"
"They aren’t committing to us,
And it’s causing strife!
I give them a paycheck-
They owe me their lives!"
"Next thing you know,"
He said with a stomp,
"They’ll get hurt on the job,
And file worker’s comp!"
"Such advantage they take!"
He raged on at length,
"They’ll want a week after surgery
To recover their strength!"
But big boss was grumpy
For one other reason-
The company was light by
One worker this season.
"What was his problem?
What got in his hair?
Six weekends, one comp day-
Wasn’t that fair?"
(See, big boss, he viewed things
With many delusions,
Which voiced, to employees,
Caused muchas confusion.)
The absent, he’d left
For a lighter workload.
Without endless frustrations
Making one wish to explode.
A place with no boss
Who’s often profane,
Yet runs down the hall, phone in hand,
When one does him the same.
A place with no weekend
Nor overtime work,
Where, if one can’t do it,
They’re always the jerk.
But this time of year,
The absent forswore
To forget all the bulls—t
That went on before.
"It’s time to forgive,"
he said to himself,
"The stuff that I went through-
For the sake of my health."
"At least I’m not there now
Twelve hours a day,
That god-awful phone chirping,
For the sake of low pay."
So on this blessed Christmas,
The cusp of New Year,
May this poem of farewell
Bring on some good cheer.
Shelly is dead-set against me sending a Christmas card with the enclosed poem to my former coworkers. What do all of you think?? I'll let your votes decide the matter, as an early Christmas gift to all of you!


5 Comments:
I think you could send it to the ones who would sympathize with you, but be sure they aren't aware of you posting it here. Shelly might have some insight as to libel lawsuits...I wouldn't put it past the above mentioned boss...
Chris,
Shelly is right and you should leave the past in the past!!!
I would have to agree with everyone else, I wouldnt think they would be able to sue you, but would just leave well enough alone. Quite funny poem though!
Or, actually, send it and place at the bottom of the Christmas card in 6pt font:
"The statements presented in this christmas card is the sole opinion of this author and his experiences while employeed at this employer and may be a ..... The author accepts no responsibility for and is held harmless against any lawsuit etc...."
It's hilarious. You shouldn't keep such a treasure to yourself. Send it to whoever you want. (unless of course it will cause marital strife)
Anonymous sounds suspiciously like mom.
Post a Comment
<< Home