Surprise!

Confounding the confusion, early on in his quest for a different identity, the collar manufacturer transposed a vowel in his new moniker, leading some to dub him "Sonny", whilst others (perhaps also perplexed by his mincing femininity) believed him to be "Sunny"- an error that continues to be made to this day.
Whatever the reason, Fox/Sonny went from crowns of laurel leaves, mingled parties with comely females, and top of the line Purina dog chow to his current existence- launched in ballistic arcs by impatient pharmacists, psychologically tormented by family friends, and playing second fiddle to obnoxiously cute babies.
Anyway, you heard it here first.
So, now that we're a few primaries/caucuses down the line, things are a tad more settled (but just a tad). Hillary Clinton shocked the world by pulling it out in New Hampshire (me not least of all), and therefore is making a race of it. I think Obama will pull it out in South Carolina this weekend, but from there it's anyone's guess. We'll have to wait for Super Tuesday to know for sure.
Over in Republican land, John McCain continues to win where it counts (comments from my last post notwithstanding). Fred Thompson, once my favorite candidate, dropped out of the race today after a disappointed SC finish. Romney managed to save his bacon in Michigan and financially remains the best off, but I'm not really sure where he has to go from here. Romney, principled man that he is, apparently does not care about polls, which makes his departure from SC to run uncontested in Nevada virtually unexplainable. It's almost as if someone read him a poll showing him in fourth place going into the primary, but that can't be it.
I was really shocked to see that Ann Coulter actually thinks Romney is the best guy for the job. We really are an absolutely fractured party if she'd endorse him.
Just to reiterate why I think McCain's the best candidate for us at this point, here are my reasons (in vague order of importance):
- He can win in the general election, since he alone of the Republicans has cross party appeal.
- He supported the surge in Iraq when half the party was reading polls and ready to make a deal with the Democrats- which would have undercut the whole war effort, which I think is the single most important issue of our time.
- He's always been against pork barrel spending, which is, again, a huge issue that needs to be dealt with. I didn't think this was an important issue before, but given the vast increase in government size and waste under Bush, it's time to get a handle on this.
- He's made up for one of my major problems with him (immigration) by changing his stance to "Secure the Borders first". We can talk about what to do with illegals once that's done, but that has to be done first.
Yes, there is that abominable McCain/Feingold law that he authored, which hopefully the Supreme Court will gradually dismantle in the coming years, but I'm inclined to overlook that in favor of the above.
Now, I'm sure I'll get a few more broadsides for that, so let 'em commence.
So, on to other things.
I don't know whether anyone here heard about the whole Jena-6 thing (I salute you if you managed to avoid it), but back in August, one of my coworkers forwarded this email around about it. Now, I have a lot of respect for her, but reading the email at the time, and knowing how these incidents usually turn out, I was very wary of lending any support to it. Turns out my caution was well justified, as described in this lengthy article. It's amazing the sheer lack of scrutiny that the media shows when the story plays into their preconceptions.
Shelly, for her Moot Court competition, has sold her soul to the devil. OK, perhaps that's a bit dramatic. She's endeavored to deprive millions of Americans of their most basic human right. What? Still too over-the-top? OK...perhaps I'll just tell you about it.
Shelly has to write a brief defending the Collectivist Rights model of the Second Amendment for her Moot Court competition. There. I said it. And I've been (sob)... helping her.
Now, it actually is a good exercise in that you have to find out what the basis is for your opponent's point of view, and with that end in mind, it's been very illuminating. For instance, the Circuit Courts that have rendered decisions since Miller in 1939 either refuse to apply Miller as written (in Cases and Tot) or illegitimately cite to it when it doesn't say what they purport it to say. Don't believe me cause I'm biased? Go read this.
It's also refreshing to see Shelly review the material herself, and come to the conclusion that the Collectivist model is pretty much pure crap. I had feared she'd see something there I didn't. Could've been a marriage breaker! ;)
But it's her job to defend it, and I constantly find myself saying (after reading something she's written) "Well, it's about the best anyone can do with it." Love you honey!
Well, the night wears on. So much else to say, and I'm only halfway down my list of blog ideas. I guess I'll have to pick this up either tomorrow or Thursday (since Jen Glass is going to be over tomorrow- yet another thing I didn't get to mention).
So I'll at least mark one last thing off my list and leave you all with a picture of Charlotte. 


6 Comments:
Sonny/Sunny sure has had a rough life! Poor thing. At least he has you to acknowledge his triumphs and defeats. :) I see a biography in the works.
Hey Son
I read Ann Coulter statement on McCain and I say AMEN to it. I will say again listen to Mark Levin. He is a man who stood with Reagan.
Mom
They must grow some good crack down there in Carolina.
You might as well vote for Billary if you are going to vote for Juan McCain. There's not much difference between the two (look it up).
This conservative will be writing in Ron Pauls name in November and thus furthering the Hildabeast or Bahama win.
Actually, I could vote for "The Huck" if he were to somehow grab the nomination but never Juan McCain. And I think you've highly overestimated McCains electability. Just wait until the DNC machine and the media is done with him... he'll be quivering worse than he was in the Hanoi Hilton!!!
Looks like McAnesty is the nominee. I think I'm going to puke. Go Hildabeast!!!!
If Chris has overestimated McCain's ability to win, well it's called optimism. Who else has a chance? To equate McCain with Hillary is ridiculous. McCain has a conservative approval rating in the 80 plus percent range. I don't think Hillary would even come close. And what exactly is Hillary supposed to say about McCain... He's not conservative enough? That argument only works in the primary. Oh wait, it didn't work. Sorry.
It's already started. The NY Times hit piece today is just the first snowflake in a blizzard of negative press that will soon bury McAmnesty. Old Juan is about to find out what the press and DNC working together do to the real republicans. He's escaped it the past decade or so because he's been such a thorn in the side to conservatives..but now... the noose is tightening.
As far as McAmnesty's conservative rating goes, you are looking at the total rating over 25 years! Look at his rating in the past 8 years since the bushmaster took him to school in 2000...it's a lowly 60! Now, I'm sure that's higher than the hildabeast but c'mon...we can't do better than that as the so called conservative party? Sad..so very sad. God I wish Cheney was running.
Post a Comment
<< Home