Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Father, Forgive Me, for I Have Sinned...

...It’s been two weeks since my last blog entry!
Well, obviously, a lot has happened. I’ll try to work backwards, with the most recent and then to the ancient stuff that happened right after my last post (for any who were thrown by my use of the word ‘backwards’).
Last night, Shelly and I attended a house party for one of the senior partners of her law firm. Dressed in the invitation-specified ‘snappy-casual’ manner, we departed at 5:45 PM for Raleigh, arriving about half an hour later. There, I learned the fine art of mixing and the exact science of mingling. I also listened raptly to several attorneys describe their cases to me, pretending not to have heard all the details already from Shelly. I got an Emmy from her for my stunning performance at playing dumb, though my apt, pertinent questions may have given me away. Later, though, I put myself in mortal danger when, on the ride home, I agreed with her that her fellow summer associate was ‘attractive’. All goodwill instantly gone...sigh.
That moves us back to Sunday, when Erika came over to drop off Sunny. The last three days have decisively informed me that I’m not ready to have a pet, much less a child right now. See, I’m unwilling to cheerfully wake up 15 minutes early to walk him in the morning, nor am I overjoyed about his ‘night terrors’ (Shelly insists on calling them ‘dreams’, but has anyone else ever heard a dog growl, howl, and bark in his sleep?). So how am I supposed to deal with a year’s worth of endlessly interrupted night’s sleeps? Erika? Danielle? Want to field that one?
Saturday moves us back to the spring cleaning Shelly and I performed on the apartment. My main responsibility was the deck, still sporting the dead plants from last year and all this spring’s pollen. That took me two hours to finish. Said cleaning was done mostly to prepare the place for the party that night...mostly. Erika and Jason and Martha all showed up about 6 PM, and Matt arrived separately about 15 minutes later, discovering that there are indeed two ‘D12’ apartments in our complex! Regrettably, most of the rest of the evening is unprintable, largely due to the afore-mentioned presence of Matt!
Hmm, last work week... what to say about that?? Nothing comes to mind, beyond the fact that it was a short one at three days. I didn’t much get to enjoy Monday or Tuesday, though, due to the fact that I spent most of the former vomiting and much of the latter asleep. Food poisoning, I think, due to eating shrimp that had been in the car too long. That’s a real shame, too, because up until then I ordered shrimp every chance I got, and now the thought of eating them has roughly the same gastro-intestinal effect as picturing Rosie O’Donnell in a thong bikini.
The weekend before last, Shelly and I took a trip to Charlotte for mother’s day. Saturday, the family came over, including Aunts Mary and Linda, Uncles David and Charles, and Cousins Miiisty and Christie. Lamentably, I took no pictures of that event. But I was there, and invited, I swear! People do SO like me!
Sunday, we took Mary out to dinner at Carrabbas (where I enjoyed the ill-fated shrimp; I guess they got their revenge after all!) and went to Frank Lisk Park in Concord. Here’s a pic of Shelly and her mom-





-and here’s another of Shelly and me:(Sorry, you do need to occasionally be reminded what I look like!).
Also, we discovered that Big and Igor, while perhaps more ready to be parents than Yours Truly, didn’t really over exert themselves in the child-rearing department: At Frank Lisk, we saw two families of honkers, one with four goslings and one with five. Here’s a pic of the latter.



Oh, and it wouldn’t have been a day if I hadn’t saved yet another bird from certain disaster- I had to yank a piece of fishing line away from a hungry gosling, who was right on the verge of swallowing it. He wasn’t overly grateful.
Speaking of goslings, our own three are doing well. They’re now about as big as those ones in the picture, who were probably hatched about a week earlier. Unfortunately, we’re down to four ducklings now, although the ones we have left are growing quickly and will hopefully be beyond most local predators soon.
Well, I guess it’s about time to wrap up this post. I’ve been going about an hour now and from the sounds in the other room, American Idol is about a half hour from wrapping up. Which means we have roughly twenty-five more minutes of filler before they announce who won. Gag me with a spoon.
I guess I'll leave you with a couple of pictures Dad sent me of the old homestead in bloom. Mom really has the place looking nice, wouldn't you agree?

2 Comments:

At 24/5/07 8:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you really want an answer to the sleep question? If so, give me a call and have a few hours to spare. Be sure to ask about peeing in trash cans and needing endless washclothes at all hours to cover our "boo boos"

 
At 30/6/07 9:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
The pictures of the old home look nice.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home