Sunday Morning Happiness Rehab
I know it's virtually unheard of that I'd post two days in a row. So you know what I have to say must be important, right?
Just a quick review of a movie Shelly and I watched last night, The Pursuit of Happiness. Don't let the name fool you- this movie won't stop until it's wrung every last ounce of happiness out of your very soul.
This isn't to say it's not a very good movie. It is. Just don't watch it if you're in a light-hearted, jovial mood.
Will Smith is incredible as Chris Gardner, a down-on-his luck bone-scanner salesman living in San Francisco (his first mistake). His wife having left him by scene three on the DVD menu, we're treated to the next six months of his life, as he trains for a 1-in-20 position as a stock broker, peddles his bone scanners (losing and recovering them in hilarious ways), looks after his young son, and keeps getting evicted and moving to progressively worse dwellings. At the end of the movie, I was about ready to break the DVD in half if he didn't get the job.
At one point, Shelly and I just started cracking up, when he's trying to fix one of his machines, holds up a part to a light to see it better, and the light burns out. It was like the writers were just going overboard to make the movie as depressing as possible. I could visualize them story-boarding:
"Ok, he has to check in to a homeless shelter, the managers turned off the lights in the rooms, so he has to leave his son so he can work on the machine in the hall. That's pretty bad, but what can we do to make the audience really just want to take a header off a tall building?"
"I've got it! The light in the hall burns out!"
"Beautiful! Go with it!"
Oh, and they've got more!
"Ok, he's sprinting with his crying son, trying to make the bus, just so they can go stand in line at the homeless shelter and maybe get a room. Hmm... what else can we do?"
"I know! His son loses his superman doll! We'll forlornly film it diminishing in the distance as the bus pulls away!"
"I love it!"
So, good movie, very inspiring, but whether what you're inspired to do is appreciate what you have or swallow a bottle of aspirin really depends on your constitution.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home