Wednesday, August 19, 2009

OBX Redux, part 1

Alright, first the obligatory apology for taking so long with this. I know the three people who read my blog that weren’t actually there have been waiting with baited breath to hear about it.
After a stressful week of Credit Union and Sonny-related issues (humorous comment regarding Sonny's bowel movements and his chosen place of depositing them removed at Shelly's demand), Shelly and I called it quits Friday afternoon and immediately headed to Massage Envy for our yearly pre-vacation massages. An hour later I stumbled out the store and was sent into the neighboring Target to pick up something, and being so incredibly relaxed, promptly forgot what it was, so I wandered the store for ten minutes or so before it came back to me.

Packing up took longer the next morning than we expected, and that alongside the need to dispose of Sonny (additional Sonny-bashing also removed) and get some cash from the ATM meant that we didn’t get on the road until just after 11 AM.
Our drive was nice and leisurely, and I shocked Shelly by actually suggesting a lengthy stay at a rest stop in Columbia, NC, which was along side a black water river and had a whole museum and nature trail. At the beginning of the stop, I talked to Mom, who was cruising a mere 30 miles or so from OBX; 45 minutes later, I talked to her again when I got in the car- totally different tone from the cheerfulness I’d heard before, as she’d hit traffic shortly after we’d talked and barely moved since then.

About an hour later, Shelly and I arrived, finding the Brooks branch of the DeAdder family newly arrived and already making use of the pool. The cleaning crew was just finishing, but attempts to bribe them into allowing us early access proved futile. We had to wait an additional 30 minutes for Mom and Dad to arrive before we could gain entry. As this marked the fourth year running of horrendous traffic for the Marylanders, several of us engaged in lengthy atlas consultations for an alternative route next year, and found one that hopefully will help.

After a period of unpacking and settling in, Shelly and I headed back south for our yearly visit to Tale of the Whale for our big anniversary dinner, helped along by Mom and Dad’s generous anniversary gift. This year, we switched things up: I had the crab legs, and Shelly had the crab-stuffed lobster.

Later on, Shelly headed to bed early, being out of sorts and stressed by finding herself in a strange place, so I headed up the street to see Tickie and Scott. I took my Wii (which, combined with all its gear, remotes, and games, fills out a laptop bag COMPLETELY) and trudged up there, not realizing it was a half mile walk. Anyway, the three of us Bowled and played Punch Out until almost one in the morning, at which point I decided to call an end to Day One.

Speaking of Punch Out, that’s what Shelly got me for our anniversary, having no hint that she’d hardly see me for the next month on account of me playing it. Short review: This is one of those rare instances when a remake of something lives up to the original. They found just the right balance of things to update vs. things to keep, and it was those little homages to the original that really made me love this game. Specifically, while the music is updated, there are certain sections (like when you get knocked down, or knock down your opponent, or during the training sequences) where it sounds like the music from the original game, which is especially cool. The result was I’d be engrossed in the actual boxing, but then the music would start and I’d yell "Hey! I remember that!", which is neat considering I probably haven’t heard that music since I was about 10 or 11 years old. So, summing up, great gift, baby!!


OK, yes, I realize that I haven't gotten past the first day, but it's late and I'm going to bed. We'll pick this up tomorrow, perhaps.


What's that? You want me to put up a teaser picture, a hint as to the content of tomorrow's blog? Oh, very well... here's a picture from Scott and I's Monday night dinner:


1 Comments:

At 19/8/09 10:01 PM, Anonymous Shelly said...

Sonny was a good boy!!!

Nice Hooters pic babe. I am such a good wife. A Wii game for an anniversary gift and even a night at Hooters. How did you get so lucky? :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home