Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Very, Very Interesting

I am very interested to see how this shakes out.

The bill in question would give anyone with a valid concealed weapon permit from their home state the ability to carry in every other state, the same way in which a driver’s license enables you to drive in all 50 states.

For those of you who don't know, concealed gun permits (CCWs, for short) often don't work that way. For instance, I am licensed to carry in North Carolina and, to my knowledge, almost every other state that issues CCW permits recognizes that license. However, there are some states (New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, etc) that positively forbid their citizens from carrying weapons. This results in ridiculousness like me driving to visit my parents in Maryland and being able to have my gun in the glove box all through NC and Virginia, but then having to stow it in my trunk before crossing the Maryland state line.

The amendment in question would require places like New York, New Jersey, and yes, even Maryland to let me carry my Walther up there, even though they don’t let their own citizens do the same. Obviously, politicians (mostly Democrats) from those areas are nearly having strokes over the matter.

I admit, when I received an email about this the other day from Gun Owners of America, I wasn’t particularly impressed. At the time, I thought this had about as much chance of passing as Hell starting up its own hockey franchise. However, today on Realclearpolitics.com, I saw the above article, and then later this one, which both seem to indicate the amendment has a solid chance of passing.

Beyond my enthusiastic support of this measure on general principle, I find it interesting watching the machinations of those trying to stop it. To wit, in the first article, Senator Charles Schumer has announced his intention to filibuster the amendment. That’s his prerogative, but it’s laughable that he is actually attacking it from a position of state’s rights. Actually, more hypocritical than laughable, I suppose, since this is a guy who supports Roe v Wade (a decision that forced every state to adopt uniform regulations allowing abortion) and the repeal of the Defense of Marriage Act (which allows states to refuse to recognize gay ‘marriages’ even if they are valid in other states).

One of the reasons Democrats control Congress right now is because they were smart enough to run conservative candidates in places like Virginia and Colorado. These candidates were often pro-military, pro-gun, anti-spending (or at least two of the three) people with whom moderately conservative voters felt safe. If they’d run unapologetic gun-grabbin’ liberals in those places, they very well might have lost, even in very Democratic years like 2006 and 2008. It got Democrats to the majority, but now they’re suffering the heartburn associated with the compromise they had to make.

I couldn’t wish it on a better bunch of people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home